Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Home from Japan

Upon arriving back in Korea after a vacation in Japan on Sunday, the Immigrations counselor said, "What do you do in Korea? Did you have nice Vacation? ...Welcome Home."


Before I came to Korea I'd only listened to my friends talk about what living abroad is like. Every story is different, every country is a world of its own and even individuals going to the same country experience different things.

My good friend Dusan who is Serbian came to live in the USA without knowing a soul. He didn't just come for a year, he always knew his future was to go to school in USA and he now has his eyes set on a career. (god only knows why USA...) I got a glimpse of what it would be like to live abroad talking with Dusan the past 4 years.

He described culture shock for me freshman year with wide eyes, scattered thoughts, and an open heart. I saw the joy he received when he would meet someone who was from his region of the world. And this helped me to see what it would be like to miss family friends, and everything one knows in the world.

Dusan had a passion for bettering his country. He wanted to learn from USA and ultimately to take good things back home.

Dusan never forgot what was at home but he always lived in the present. I know his future will be fulfilling in whatever he puts his mind too.

I cannot rightfully compare my experience abroad with what Dusan has done in USA. But I can't help but think of all the things I've learned from him. I feel so lucky to be loved here. I get hugs from my students everyday. I get so much respect, attention, and unfair advantages from strangers everyday when they see I am an American. I'm sure that there is some benefits for some foreigners who come into the United States. Like girls falling for their sweet accent. That may in fact be the only advantage. I don't know.

But I can't even speak Korean at all and I am blessed with all these gifts, hugs, smiles, simply because they are curious, hungry for American Culture. I am grateful for this. I am still waiting for culture shock to hit me. I think that it may not. Since I don't speak Korean I can't really immerse myself in the culture, saving me from such a shock. I think could live here the rest of my life with out ever speaking Korean. It seems sad to me.

After work I come home and check my facebook. I see what is happening in the lives of all my friends and family. I skype with my family and friends too. I can see their faces and hear their voice everyday. I feel so blessed that I can do these things. This also protects me from really feeling what its like to miss home. The internet really makes the world a smaller place.

Dusan has a vision for what could be improved in Serbia; for what he wants to take home. I only hope I can take more than souvenirs home with me. I have a passion for helping people, I know this is true. But I'm not really sure who it is I am trying to help. Since I was fairly young I always wanted to flee from USA. But, I have fled to the wrong country for wanting to be away from American culture. Korea is like a toddler America. Maybe while I'm here, with the encounters I have, I will be able to teach Korea some good things USA has to offer.

There is good and bad on both sides of this earth. If we could learn the good things from each other the world would definitely be better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment