Monday, August 9, 2010

Brienna Teacher

Wow. Today was a big day. It was our first day at Sunflower Language School. We had a nice introduction to the school, with all the morning kindergarten saying hello to us. Then we watched Shawn Teacher, teach two periods. He is extremely high energy and keeps the kids laughing, screaming or speaking the entire period. Then we were on our own for the rest of the day! I felt comfortable in front of the classes right away. The class sizes are small and the children are really sweet, interested and well behaved. Yet, one of my favorite quotes about teaching I read off of an environmental camp T-shirt says, "Learning Thrives on the Edge of Chaos." Whether sunflower language school knows this or not, I definitely think they follow this principal. It does take some stress off when you don't have to worry about your students making too much noise (even at a screaming level) and that if the director walks by and all of your students are running around the room, she will not be alarmed.

Regardless, I think I really had some successful classes today. The first class I taught was art class. These kindergartners did an amazing job coloring a colorful geometric drawing using squares, circles and colors of their choosing. I was really impressed with how well they listened to directions, colored carefully and neatly, and really seemed to care about the outcome of the picture.

I also had success with the 4 year olds that 'Shawn Teacher' described as pretty much "unteachable." They must have been interested in having a new teacher because we were able to finish our worksheets and read a book all in one period. And they were really pretty quiet the entire time!

I'm happy that I made it this far, but I know this is just the beginning. This year is definitely going to be a challenge! I hope tomorrow we find out when our vacations are. haha. kidding, kind of. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment