Friday, August 13, 2010

End of the first week

hello readers,
its friday evening here and we just finished our first week of class. Amy and I are going to hit the town tonight but before we do I wanted to jot down some thoughts about the week. so, it was pretty awesome. I feel completely comfortable here! well except when my legs get all cramped under the low little tables when we go out to eat because they are too long for the asian style eatery ...haha but the food is soo good, it doesn't matter to me at all...more about that later.

so the classes are small and full sweet children who are all interested in learning. sounds too good to be true right? well its for real. ive told some people that there is no way the kids can stay this perfect all year. :) but of course I hope they do! my littlest ones don't speak a word of english. they are only 4! i have two classes with 12 kids in them that are this age/level. but i dont really find them hard to work with because children that age learn much better visually anyway. So i've found that as soon as I get their attention (usually by banging on the wall, (which is totally kosher)) if i do exactly what i want them to do and then they are perfect little copiers. they are so smart, and good with their hands! mom pointed out that its probably because they use chop sticks. probably very true, i think if i have kids i'll make them use chopsticks :)

Then I have 1 class of elementary students. they are pretty awesome. they are smart and really good at working in their english textbooks. they are way ahead of their schedule, which is okay because we have more books to give them if they finish early... but this allows me a lot of freedom with them. we can basically play the rest of the year! :) my challenge to myself is going to be to get them to speak english conversationally with me; tearing them away from their precious grammar and into real life english. :)

Then I have 2 classes of kindergartners, who are just an amazing mix of both. they can speak english well and aren't timid about it like the older kids. they are always on task, ready in the morning in their seats, saying "good morning Brienna Teacher!" they are easy to teach and ready to learn. :)

and i get to teach an art class everyday! they have a "sketchbook" which is really a textbook with some blank pages to fill in an art assignment. the lesson i taught my classes last week was simple, and may not have had the content I would have been looking for last year during my student teaching, but they covered some basic art elements, let me know what level the kids were at, and produced some pretty successful and some beautiful pieces. needless to say, art is my favorite class of the day, even though it requires a lot more preparation. i just love to see what these kids can do. they are amazing!


okay so back to the food..yum. its so good. with every meal served here there is perfectly cooked white rice and kimchi. if all i ate for the rest of the time i was here was rice with kimchi i think i would be very very happy. but that of course is just the side dishes. the main dishes are full of flavor and their meat is cooked perfectly. the chicken tenders i had the other day were seriously the best chicken tenders i have ever had. and at the korean style restaurants you cook your own beef/pork right there in front of you on the floor. so good, and hot. the first day we were here we cooked pork like this and then stuck it in a piece of lettuce, dipped it in some sauce and about died. today we went out for lunch with all the teachers from our school and we ate something like a beef soup. but beef soup sounds disgusting if you are in the usa. here it was more like ribs sauteed in delicious broth with fresh vegetables, homemade pasta, and buttery potatoes. all served in a beautiful presentation towering at least a foot high when we first got to the table.

yum.

i like food, maybe that is why i am so comfortable here ;)


okay ta ta for now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brie!
    Sounds like you're having an unbelievably awesome time! Good for you! Just to confirm your thinking....when MJ (Myung-ju) lived with us, we noticed that there is a lot of English grammar that is taught from text books that doesn't quite fit into our American English. I can't think of an example right now but if I do I'll let you know.

    Do you ever sing or do poetry? I find that the rhythm and rhyme really helps it stick, and children love it, although sometimes poetry strays from grammar.

    Also, the field of horticulture (gardening) is wide open for learning all kinds of subjects: flower names (which sometimes match girls names, like Lily), vocabulary of all kinds, colors, science terms, how a plant works, insects, hands-on lessons like seed growing. Not sure if you can tailor your lessons to subjects, but ALL children love to watch things grow.

    If I ever got back into the classroom, my room would be one bit garden habitat and we would see how every subject I taught would fit into God's creation of a garden. I think there's a reason Adam and Eve started there! So much to learn!

    Keep up the good work. Let me know if you need any resources.
    Love you--Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks Aunt Joan! I'm really intrigued by your passion for gardening and bringing it into the classroom seems like a great idea! I have had trouble keeping a potted plant alive... yes I know they need water but I tend to forget that far too often.... but I hope to grow my own real garden someday when I have a yard. Unfortunately I have to teach out of a textbook so everything we have time to do in class is pretty structured. They do a lot of singing in other classes but I'm going to bring it into mine asap. And poetry seems like a great idea! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete