Monday, October 4, 2010

story time....

So yesterday Amy and I went to the university area to shop for clothes and look for a cell phone for Amy. While on our way Amy said "Man I wish Ryan was with us." He's our friend who's lived in Korea for four years and speaks enough Korean that its really useful to have him around while cell phone shopping (as we've already tried twice.) So after getting a gelato on the way to the store, guess who we run right into. Ryan. And hes free, so he comes with us to the cell phone shop. Were in this store for about an hour signing papers, standing around, trying to understand each-other. and finally they say come back tomorrow to get the phone. oh and by the way you should see the cell phone shops here. They have like 30 of the brightest lights on the ceiling, shiny white floors that are practically mirrors with while walls, and white cases for the phones with clear shiny glass... going in there you really feel like they should be selling precious stones or something.
anyways... we met up with two of Ryans friends after dinner. Dinner was potato bacon pizza. it was really more like two flour tortillas with sweet tomato sauce, lots of cheese(which was its saving grace) a handful of fat french fries and a few squares of ham.

So out of these two friends, one of them lived in Thailand before he came here with his girl friend. When he mentioned Thailand I asked him what it was like. Ever since you came home with those photos and souvenirs and memories, I can't get Thailand out of my head.

He told us all about Thailand and what his year was like. He is one of those really good story teller types. He talked about going through the TEFL program with about 30 other young professionals. Staying in nice ass rooms, going out everyday of the week. He talked about the buildings, the people, the energy and life that is given off by Bankok. He said that teaching is one of the highest regarded professions in Thailand. And after hearing about his stories of their partying, I really can't understand that. He said that a meal in Thailand is 60 cents. He said that you get a drink there with redbull in it but their redbull is concentrated and like 3 times as strong and you'll have one of those and he reinacted what its like to walk down the busiest street in Bankok. Bouncing up and down on your toes, turning left and right, with your head tilted up, down, moving all around, with a wild smile and crazy eyes. He said that after a year they were ready to get out of there. And that he is not ready to go back yet. But hearing his passion for what it was like to be there was great. Of course I thought about you the entire time.

We ended up talking to this guy, John, for about an hour in the middle of the street. Ultimately I had to say my legs were hurting from standing so long and we had to go. But I really enjoyed our conversation and I'd redecided by the end of it that Thailand is where I want to be.

I'm glad I am in Korea for this year but I'm really excited about what is happening next. Today our boss mentioned to Amy about wanting us to stay another year! Which is great... but there is so much in this world to see!

Coming right out of high school and challenging chance on a trip like you did was a really brave thing. There isn't a day that goes by with out me thinking of you and your adventure. Even though you were across the world for those 4 months I really think it brought us closer because I was able to imagine what a trip like that would be. When you came back we were all soo happy that you were back and safe, but I could see that the trip had changed you. and I wanted that. I don't think I'd be where I am today if it wasn't for you! When people ask how I came to be here, I always start the story with "Well my little sister traveled to Vietnam, India and Thailand..." haha and its a pretty short story from there.

that reminds me ... I also realized while listening to John talk about Thailand that I wish I was a better story teller. Especially cause I was trying to think up one to tell to you for that class. And since I am in Korea, I should have some damn good stories. But everyone is different, eh?

I'm definitely better at conversations than story telling. The difference being the feedback and listening part I guess. it kinda fits into this new idea I've had for my blogs. My blogs are going to be more like letters to individual people, that I let the world read. Its good because I get to say the things to important people in my life that I would never have really been able to say at home and it gives my blogs (that I feel the pressure to write) some direction.

So the moral of my story is... all stories are told differently. You better tell me what this assignment comes out to be. I'm very curious! Love you Calley...

3 comments:

  1. "going in there you really feel like they should be selling precious stones or something. "

    lol!!! Sounds like it!

    Brie, I feel the same way about Calley. What fierce courage it must have taken for someone so young to take on the world! Calley, you are an inspiration to me, an old lady.

    And Brie, your story-telling abilities are good enough to make this old woman think about TEFL in Thailand!!! :-D Wow, would that be something!!!

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha are you still thinking about teaching in Thailand, Aunt Susan? Thats great! :)

    ReplyDelete